Back in college, when nearly every one of my friends had posters with attractive women on their walls, I had this poster. It featured Peter’s Laws. It was a list of rules that, it seemed, were written for me. Looking back at that list now, many of his laws still resonate with me. But over time, I have developed my own “rules of life.” Many I have borrowed. Some have been my own creation. And during this strange time, I felt like it might be a fun, and necessary exercise to share them with you now.
So here are Kirby’s Rules of Life.
1. Take a moment and think about how stupid the average person is. Now, by definition, half of them are dumber than that.
2. Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
3. When everything else fails, be kind.
4. When presented with new information, it is not only permissible, it’s required to change your mind.
5. In 5 years, you will be the same person you are now, except for the people that you meet…and the books that you read. Read more.
6. Every person dies. Make sure you REALLY live.
7. Sleep on it before you make a big decision.
8. Be Intentional about your life. Otherwise you will spend your life creating someone else’s dream.
9. You can make a difference. Try.
10. Taking action toward your vision is almost always the right thing to do.
11. Stop waiting to be invited to the party. Create your own party.
12. The secret to self confidence is keeping promises to your self…and giving yourself grace when it doesn’t work.
13. Work harder.
14. Get enough sleep.
15. Push out good into the universe. It will (at some point) come back.
16. One of the best way to create the life of your dreams is to help someone move toward theirs.
17. Write down your goals.
18. If it’s to be, it’s up to me.
19. It takes strength to ask for help.
20. You can always learn more and grow.